The Kathmandu Metropolitan City (KMC) office has come up with the concept to place vending machines in busiest areas of the town to manage plastic waste in the city.
Why it matters:
- Plastic waste is a major source of the pollution in the city. This initiative if properly implemented can aid in reducing the waste level of the city.
- According to KMC private-public partnership unit chief Mahesh Kafle, the vending machines will be put in the fixed location of major areas.
- In order to put waste inside the machine, users will have to enter personal details including their mobile phone number into the system of the machine.
- After disposing of the waste, the users will get an extra balance on his/her mobile phone.
What to expect next:
In the first phase, the KMC plans to set such vending machines at places like Tribhuvan International Airport, New Road, and Durbar Marg areas.
- Yeti Airlines to Airlift 100 Tons of Waste from Everest
- Nepwaste to Manage Solid Waste in Kathmandu
- NAST to Produce Fuel from Plastic