Samsung has now officially launched the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2. Samsung revealed some of the detail at the beginning of August when it launched the Note 20 series.
This is the second generation of the Samsung Galaxy Fold and it builds on the foundation of the original Fold. Yeah, it builds upon its original price tag as well. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 costs a whopping USD 1999.
So, what’s changed and what do we get with the 1999$ folding phone from Samsung. Let’s have a look!
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Specifications
- Body: Unfolded: 159.2 x 128.2 x 6.9 mm, Folded: 159.2 x 68 x 16.8 mm, 282 g, Glass front (folded), plastic front (unfolded), glass back, aluminum frame
- Main Display: 7.6 inches Foldable Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1768 x 2208 pixels (~373 ppi density), 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+
- Cover Display: 6.23″, Super AMOLED, 816 x 2260 pixels (25:9)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM8250 Snapdragon 865+ (7 nm+)
- CPU: Octa-core (1×3.09 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 256GB 12GB RAM, 512GB 12GB RAM, UFS 3.1, No Card Slot
- OS: Android 10, One UI 2.5
- Rear Camera: 12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.76″, 1.8µm, Dual Pixel PDAF, OIS
- Front Camera: 10 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1.22µm
- Battery: Li-Po 4500 mAh, non-removable, Fast charging 25W, Fast wireless charging 11W, Reverse wireless charging 4.5W
- USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Misc: Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Colors: Mystic Bronze, Mystic Black, Thom Browne Edition
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Price in Nepal: Rs. 2,45,000 (Expected)
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Overview
Build & Design
Samsung sticks to the original design of the Galaxy Fold but there are plenty of changes with the Fold 2. It has a punch hole camera on the external display and internal display as well. Bezels look reduced as Samsung claims that the bezels are now 27% smaller.
One of the new changes comes in the hinge mechanism that comes with a reinforced cam structure. So, now there is less of a gap between the display and the hinge. And, the cam structure also allows the Fold 2 to open in multiple angles like the Z Flip. The hinge also uses sweeper technology to prevent dust and dirt from entering the phone.
The external display is now large at 6.2 inches. It’s also using a sturdier new Ultra-Thin Glass Display for the internal display which is designed to provide a better touch response feel than the plastic screen on the Fold.
The main foldable display is a 7.6 inch AMOLED display with a refresh rate of 120Hz compared to the 60Hz of the Galaxy Fold. And, the panel is adaptive just like the Note 20 series so, it will automatically adjust the refresh rate according to the usage.
The main display has a resolution of 1768 x 2208 pixels and comes with HDR 10+ support.
The outer display on the Fold 2 is now bigger as it measures 6.2 inches compared to 4.6 on the Fold. It’s still a Super AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 816 x 2260 pixels but it doesn’t provide a 120Hz refresh rate.
You can instantly switch between the two displays. The app will be instantaneously resumed on the external display if you were using it on the main display and vice versa.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 sports the Snapdragon 865+ chipset along with 12GB RAM and 256GB/512GB UFS 3.1 internal storage.
Snapdragon 865+ chipset has an Octa-core (1×3.09 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585) CPU and Adreno 650 GPU.
Since Snapdragon 865+ is the latest and greatest, we will see similar performance as that of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra with 865+. And, it’s also 5G ready.
The rear camera design looks similar to that of the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. But, you don’t get a 108MP sensor, a 5X Optical zoom, or a 50X Zoom.
The Galaxy Z Fold 2 features a 12MP main sensor, a 12MP ultra wide-angle camera with 123-degree FOV, and a 12MP telephoto sensor with a 2X optical zoom and 10X digital zoom. So, it’s a downgrade from the Note 20 Ultra.
Then, there’s a 10MP selfie camera on the inside and a 10MP sensor on the external display as well. But, you can easily use the main camera as the front camera as well. That’s the advantage of the Fold.
Samsung has crafted software for the camera as well. It has a dual preview which lets the subjects see who they are looking using the front display. Then there’s Flex Mode in which you can position the phone as a laptop and it will keep your subject in focus using a feature called Auto framing.
Another feature is the Capture View mode that lets you review up to 5 recent pictures on the bottom half of the screen while maintaining the live preview on the other half.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 runs on One UI 2.5 on top of Android 10. It has now fixed lots of app-related issues that were present in the Fold. Microsoft Office now takes advantage of the larger aspect ration and provides a toolbar with access to deeper features. And, Samsung also promises optimized viewing experience while using Gmail, YouTube, and Spotify.
Furthermore, the Flex mode give’s the Z Fold 2 a lot of versatility. You can have controls or settings on one of the displays and the content on the other side for maximum and efficient usage of the foldable screen.
Samsung has mentioned that the Flex mode is supported by Samsung apps like Camera, Gallery, Video Player. Clock, and Calendar. Furthermore, YouTube and Google Duo also supports Flex mode. And, there will be more third-party apps in the future.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold is running a 4500 mAh battery which should be enough for a day of usage. It comes with 25W fast wired charging, fast wireless charging, and supports reverse charging too.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 Price in Nepal and Availability
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 is an upgrade of the Galaxy Fold that improves upon the weaknesses of the original Galaxy Fold.
Its price is ofcourse ridiculous at 1999 USD and it’s only for a handful of consumers who want to flaunt the latest and greatest. Also, this is a dual-purpose 2-in-1 tablet that can be a mobile phone. So, Samsung is really pushing towards the idea of a phone that can act as a tablet when need be.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 price starts at 1999 USD and will be available starting September 18. There’s no word on its availability in Nepal from Samsung. But, this could make it to Nepal with limited availability.
Also, watch our Samsung Note 20 Ultra first look video!
- Yamaha Fascino 125 FI First Ride: Refined BS6 Engine and New Practical FeaturesWe’ve come a long way since the early days of scooters in Nepal. Scooters are…
- Oppo F17 Pro with Quad Cameras And Helio P95 to Launch Soon in NepalOppo has recently launched some budget phones like Oppo A53 and Oppo A12 in Nepal.…
- Husqvarna Vitpilen 250 Launched in Nepal, Priced at Rs. 5.69 LakhsHusqvarna Vitpilen 250 and Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 is now available in Nepal! Hansraj Hulaschand &…
- Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 Launched in Nepal: Priced Well!Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 and Husqvarna Vitpilen 250 is now in Nepal! Hansraj Hulaschand & Co.…