Samsung Nepal recently launched its 2021 lineup of A-series phones consisting of A72, A52, A32, and A12. Among, them A72 is a premium mid-range phone with close to flagship features.
It even brings a 3X telephoto sensor on a mid-range phone and has a pretty compelling quad camera setup. So, let’s take a look at its camera performance.
Samsung Galaxy A72 Specifications
- Body: 165 x 77.4 x 8.4 mm, 203 g, Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Protection: IP67 dust/water resistant
- Display: 6.7 inches Super AMOLED, 1080 x 2400 pixels, 90Hz, 800 nits (peak)
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 618
- Memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM
- OS: Android 11, One UI 3.1
- Rear Camera: 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.7X”, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS
- Front Camera: 32 MP, f/2.2, 26mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 0.8µm
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 5000 mAh Battery, Fast charging 25W
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Misc: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Colors: Awesome Black, Awesome White, Awesome Violet, Awesome Blue
Samsung Galaxy A72 Price in Nepal: Rs. 51,999 (8/128GB) / Rs. 56,999 (8/256GB)
Samsung Galaxy A72 Camera Review
Improved Camera Setup
Samsung Galaxy A72 is rocking a quad-camera setup on the rear. It has a 64MP main sensor, an 8MP telephoto lens, a 12MP ultrawide angle sensor, and a 5MP depth sensor. On the front, it has a 32MP sensor for selfies.
The main sensor has a wide f/1.8 aperture but Samsung hasn’t provided more info about the actual sensor used on the A72. Anyway, the main sensor now has OIS (Optical lmage Stabilization), which is a very good addition. Another major upgrade is the addition of the new 8MP f/2.4 dedicated telephoto camera. This sensor can do 3X optical zoom and has OIS.
Then there’s the commonly used 12MP f/2.2 ultrawide angle camera and a 5MP f/2.4 macro camera.
64MP, Ultrawide, and Normal Photos
The default 16MP photos from the main sensor have a wide dynamic range and the colors are punchy without being too saturated.
Auto HDR also helps to brighten up the photos and bring more detail to the shadows. I did not have any issues with the Auto HDR during my usage.
The 64MP sensor is a Quad-Bayer sensor that can actually produce impressive 64MP stills
The 64MP photos have good detail and the dynamic range doesn’t take a hit. But the contrast is not as good as normal photos.
A 12MP ultrawide camera sensor is very common on Samsung devices. It captures really good photos with punchy colors and a wide dynamic range. The color profile is not the same as the main sensor as it leans toward a slightly colder color profile.
The distortion correction on the A72 does a fine job and doesn’t affect the overall photo quality, especially on the edges.
A72 takes zoom photos from the 8MP telephoto camera. Though it’s a low res sensor than the main sensor, it still produces good photos under good light conditions.
The dynamic range is not as good as the main sensor but the HDR is certainly up to the task. The 3x optical zoom photos maintain good detail and have a slightly colder color tone.
The available zoom preset beyond 3x are 4x, 10x, 20x, and 30x. The 10x zoom photos are usable to some degree but anything above that is definitely not that great. However, it can go head to head with even the S21 when it comes to zoom photos. Check out some comparison samples below.
S21 Vs A72 COMPARISON
Low Light Performance
Even without night mode, the details of low-light photos are good. Noise reduction doesn’t seem too aggressive which helps to preserve detail but this leads to graininess.
Exposure is nice and the dynamic range is also pretty wide.
Night mode helps to reduce noise but that will lead to some loss in detail. It does help to lift shadows and mid-tones though. It also takes longer to capture the image and it crops the 16MP photos down to 12MP which results in lower FOV.
Portrait & Macro
On to the portrait mode, A72 captures really good photos with a bokeh effect. The subject separation and background blur effect are more than good enough. However, the face of the subject might look a bit softer in some photos.
As for the Macro mode, the 5MP sensor provides decent detail and it is one of the good macro sensors that you will find on a mid-ranger.
Now, let’s talk about its selfie camera. It has a 32MP snapper on the front. And, it’s actually impressive. I like the details on the selfies. But the images do have a warmer tone to them.
It can also take good portrait selfies with not-so-perfect edge detection and decent background blur.
The A72 can capture up to 4K 30fps from all of its cameras except the macro sensor. The 4K footages have excellent detail with an impressive dynamic range. You won’t notice noise and colors look natural as well.
As for stabilization, it works on all the cameras at 1080p resolution. Well, you have to sacrifice sharpness in 1080p footages but the stabilization helps smoothen the jitters and occasional camera shakes.
The 4K footage from the telephoto sensor and the ultrawide sensor is also really good for a phone of this range.
There is no 4K 60fps support but a recent update has brought 1080p 60fps support.
Furthermore, if you want steadier footage then you can always opt-in for the super steady option but you will have to compromise on the detail.
Last but not the least, the 4k footages from the front camera are also admirable. The 4k footages have good sharpness and a fair amount of detail.
A72 brings some new camera features like the FUN MODE that basically gives you various filters to play with. There’s the Single-Take mode which we saw on the S21 series and it gets Pro Mode for both Photos and Videos.
I noticed that A72 also has the zoom preview feature that was introduced on the S21 series but sadly it doesn’t have the zoom lock-on feature.
Samsung Galaxy A72 has a very competitive camera system for a mid-ranger.
It provides excellent photo quality and the telephoto lens provides surprisingly good 3X zoom photos. The zoom photos from A72 can go head to head even with the likes of the S21.
Along with that, A52 comes with OIS and the front camera is more than good enough.
Overall, Samsung Galaxy A72 has one of the best camera systems for the price.
What’s your take on the Samsung Galaxy A72? Let us know in the comments below!
- Programiz: An e-Learning Platform from Nepal has now Reached 15 Million pageviews/month in the Global MarketOnly a handful Nepali digital platforms have reached the global audience. One of them is…
- SiTech Dev1 – First SiTech Electric SUV to Arrive in Nepal SoonSiTech Dev1 is coming soon in Nepal. EV Nepal Motors, the authorized distributor of SiTech…
- News Yamaha Fascino 125 Hybrid Launched with More FeaturesYamaha Fascino 125 Hybrid has been launched in India. Yamaha Motors India has revealed the…
- Honda Grazia 125 BS6 Launched in Nepal: New Changes, New Price!Honda Grazia BS6 is now available in Nepal. Syakar Trading Company, the authorized distributor of…