Xiaomi Mi A1 becomes the first smartphone in the Mi family to receive the Android Oreo update. The smartphone was promised to receive an update to Android Oreo by the end of 2017. The new Android version started rolling out as a progressive OTA (over-the-air ) update on December 31, fulfilling that promise. Mi A1 Oreo update was widely anticipated by Xiaomi fans. As it finally makes it debut, let’s have a look at some of its new features.
SEE ALSO: Xiaomi A1 Impressions
The Oreo update is sized at 1.1 GB. However, users need to first install software version 7.12.19 (Android Nougat) on their Mi A1 to receive the OTA update to Android Oreo 8.0. Xiaomi says the rollout is staggered so users will receive the notification for Oreo update on different days. So if you do not see the Android Oreo update on your smartphone yet, do not panic. It might arrive a little later.
Mi A1 Oreo Update Highlights
- Xiaomi has made improvements to App Drawer. Now users can swipe up to open up the app drawer from anywhere on the screen. The feature works on the Mi A1 unit we have with us. A user can just swipe in the middle of the home screen and the app drawer will appear. The Android Oreo update brings a Light UI for notification shade and quick toggles.
- Xiaomi is also introducing notification dots on apps with Android Oreo update. So if an app has an update, users will be able to just long press on it and a small menu will pop up which will show the latest notification, shortcuts, along with app Info on top.
- The Android Oreo update also brings Picture-in-Picture mode. Picture-in-picture will display the content over a floating window while letting a user perform other tasks.
- The Autofill framework also comes to Mi A1 with the Android Oreo update. This will allow apps to create and maintain their own list of auto-fill data, populate it when required. Users can change setting from the ‘Autofill service’ in Languages & input in settings. However, only Google’s service is using this feature for now on the Mi A1 smartphone.
- The Night Light mode is also available on Mi A1 with Android Oreo, which users can activate from settings. Smart text selection, which can offer to dial a phone number to find directions using Google Maps is also activated on Mi A1.
Xiaomi Mi A1 is a very good phone. This update makes it just a bit more attractive. The 64 GB version is currently available in Daraz for a reasonable price of Rs. 30,000.