Telephone and Internet cost are expected to increase in Nepal as certain points in the federal budget for 2075/76 have come to light.
Why it matters:
- According to the budget, the income tax for Internet Service Providers (ISP) and telecom service providers has been increased by 5%, making it 30%. The service charge on telecom operators has also been increased by 2% making it 13%.
- These increases lead to hike in telephone and Internet costs, which in turn will make access to the services difficult. It could be contradictory to what the government had planned, which was to increase Internet penetration.
- The telecommunication service cost in Nepal is already one of the highest in the South Asian region.
- However, some officials of the NTA are not certain that the increase in the taxes will lead to increase in the cost of telecommunication and Internet services, as taxes are not the only parameters that determine the cost.
- Nepal Ranks 3rd Among Low-Income Countries in Inclusive Internet Index 2018
- 63 Percent of Nepal’s Population Connected to the Internet
- Nepal Has the 99th Fastest Mobile Internet in the World
Featured video from TechLekh
Xiaomi 12 Pro Unboxing & Impressions नेपालीमा
Suzuki V-Strom SX, New 250cc Adventure Motorcycle, Coming Soon in Nepal!Suzuki V-Strom SX is heading to Nepal… allegedly. Vishal Group, the authorized distributor of Suzuki…
Huawei Watch GT 3 Pro with ECG Feature Launched in NepalHuawei has launched its smartwatch Huawei Watch GT 3 Pro in Nepal. The Huawei Watch…
All-New Mahindra Scorpio-N Launched: Nepal’s Favorite SUV Daunts a New Avatar!All-new Mahindra Scorpio-N is now officially available in Nepal. Agni Group, the authorized distributor of…