Telephone and Internet cost are expected to increase in Nepal as certain points in the federal budget for 2075/76 have come to light.
Why it matters:
- According to the budget, the income tax for Internet Service Providers (ISP) and telecom service providers has been increased by 5%, making it 30%. The service charge on telecom operators has also been increased by 2% making it 13%.
- These increases lead to hike in telephone and Internet costs, which in turn will make access to the services difficult. It could be contradictory to what the government had planned, which was to increase Internet penetration.
- The telecommunication service cost in Nepal is already one of the highest in the South Asian region.
- However, some officials of the NTA are not certain that the increase in the taxes will lead to increase in the cost of telecommunication and Internet services, as taxes are not the only parameters that determine the cost.
- Nepal Ranks 3rd Among Low-Income Countries in Inclusive Internet Index 2018
- 63 Percent of Nepal’s Population Connected to the Internet
- Nepal Has the 99th Fastest Mobile Internet in the World
Collateral-free and Paperless “FoneLoan” is a New Drive in the Banking SectorThe lending landscape has been changing with the increasing adoption of digitization among banks and…
Draft e-Commerce Bill: Major Highlights and Issues Raised by the StakeholdersThe smartphone revolution and increasing internet penetration is creating fertile ground for the e-commerce market.…
Super Soco CUx First Ride: Judging a Book by Its CoverAfter its first unveiling at NADA Auto Show, Super Soco has finally entered the Nepali…
OnePlus 9 with Snapdragon 888 Finally Launched in NepalOnePlus unveiled the OnePlus 9 series on March 23rd and now the OnePlus 9 is…
Mi Band 6 with SpO2 Sensor to Launch in Nepal SoonXiaomi is set to update its fitness tracker lineup with the launch of Mi Band…