Nepal Telecommunications Authority (NTA), the nation’s telecom regulator has started working to open license for Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO).
- MVNO is the communication services provider that purchases infrastructure, including spectrum and core network, from existing Mobile Network Operator (MNO) at wholesale rate and resells it to consumers at competitive prices under its own brand.
- MVNO aims to increase the competition and maximize the usage of network.
- NTA intends to use MVNO for the expansion of Mobile network across the country and encourage the competitive growth.
- The directive for the MVNO is already drafted and will be sent to the cabinet for approval.
- After the approval, NTA will call for the interested firms to apply for MVNO license.
- NTA belives that MVNO will promte competition which will be beneficial to the customers as they can find good quality network at affordable rates and cover more parts due to more competition.
- Any firm that obtains the MVNO licence in Nepal will be allowed to purchase spectrum and core network from existing telecom service providers and deliver mobile communication services under its own brand name in the country.