HTC U11 EYEs is likely to be launched this month in China. It will be the newest addition to the HTC U11 family. The key feature of the device will be its dual front-facing cameras meant to resemble a pair of eyes. It is expected to cost around $510 in the international market.
HTC U11 EYEs will sport a 6-inch full HD display (1080 x 2160 pixels). The bezel-less phone with an aspect ratio of 18:9 has a pixel density of 402 PPI.It is rumored to be powered by Snapdragon 652 processor. It comes with 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage. The storage can be further expanded to 256 GB with MicroSD card.
The primary camera is 12 MP with dual-LED dual-tone flash. The camera setup is expected to come with features such as auto-focus, face detection, and 1080p video recording. The front cameras are rumored to be a dual camera setup. HTC U11 EYEs will run on Android 7.1 Nougat with the latest HTC Sense on top. The entire device contains a non-removable 3930 mAh battery. It is expected to have USB Type-C with fast charging.
HTC U11 EYEs Key Specifications
- Display: 6-inch IPS LCD display ,1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 aspect ratio
- Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8976 Snapdragon 652
- CPU: Octa-core (4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A72 & 4×1.2 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Adreno 510
- Memory: 64 GB internal storage with MicroSD expansion, 4 GB RAM
- OS: Android 7.1 Nougat with HTC Sense
- Primary Camera: 12 MP, phase detection autofocus, dual-LED dual-tone flash
- Secondary Camera: Dual cameras
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3930mAh battery
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
One of the problems with HTC has been its pricing, especially in its mid-range phones. Good smartphones are getting cheaper every year. While HTC U11 EYEs will offer a visually stunning phone with squeeze feature unique to the U11 family, it still falls short. There are many phones which offer the similar feature for better value for money. The phone not launching with Android Oreo is another factor to not buy it immediately.
However, it is still a unique device. Embracing the 18:9 aspect ratio and USB Type-C is a step in the right direction. The Edge sense feature activated by squeezing the phone has received mixed reviews but it is there.The pricing of the phone will be a key factor in its success whether they reduce it after a few months or eventually.
Is the HTC brand enough for you to give this phone a squeeze when there are better alternatives? Please let us know.