All photographers gear up this September to take that one perfect snap from among hundreds of monuments in our country; for Wikimedia Commons has announced “Commons: Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Nepal”.
Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest for monuments, organized by Wikimedia this September. Wikimedia is the movement behind Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia – a global collaboration authored by volunteers.
This competition started in 2010 from the Netherlands. It started in Nepal in 2003 and since then 5,400+ pictures have been uploaded under creative commons license through this event.
The competition started on the 1st of September and will be open until the end of the month i.e. 30th September 2017.
The results will be announced by the end of October 2017.
Best photograph category:
- First Prize 15,000 NPR
- Second Prize 10,000 NPR
- Third Prize 5,000 NPR
Prizes in other categories:
- Highest contributor (by the number of photographs) will be awarded a cash prize of NRs. 5,000
- Top 15 contributors (by the number of photographs) will be rewarded with a T-shirt
- Each photo contributor will be awarded a Certificate of Participation.
Every photo submitted must be:
- Self-taken and self-uploaded
- Uploaded in September 2017
- Freely licensed
- Contain an identified monument
- Nominated through a national contest
There are also some practical rules.
- The participant should have an activated e-mail address on the upload platform;
- The first winner will get to choose the first prize etc.
If necessary, the rules can be adapted via the international coordinators.
Everyone, give this a shot!
For more information, click here.