Ministry of Energy is working on the formation of Electricity Regulatory Commission. This move from the Ministry comes 16 years after the concept was introduced.
- The Finance Ministry approved the regulations prepared by the Ministry on the basis of the Electricity Regulatory Commission Act last Sunday.
- The Ministry now needs feedback from the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs. It will then present the proposal to the Cabinet for further actions.
About the Commission:
- The Commission will have the authority to regulate the issues relating to a transmission line, power purchase, tariff fixing, and implementation, among others.
- It will have one chair, and four members and the appointments will be made on the basis of a principle of proportional inclusion.
- The concept for the Commission was introduced 16 years ago.
- The government issued the Energy Crisis Prevention Action to incorporate the provision about the formation of a high-level Electricity Regulation Commission on February 18, 2016. Then on August 11 last year, the Legislature Parliament passed the Electricity Regulatory Commission Bill.
Now this year, the Ministry of Energy is working to form the Commission.