The Department of Transport Management (DoTM) is to ban the operation of the vehicles that have been running for two decades across the country from coming Chaitra (March-April).
The Department is to amend the Motor Vehicle and Transport Management Regulations – 2054 BS before they put a ban on two decades old vehicles.
Why it matters:
- The air pollution of Kathmandu valley is increasing day by day. This decision of the department can go a long way to improve the condition of air in the valley.
What they are saying:
- Department’s Director General Rup Narayan Bhattarai says that the decision to remove two-decade old vehicles from the Kathmandu Valley from February last year has yet to be fully enforced.
- But, this time the Department plans to take strong actions against cases of violation of the order.
- However, this ban is not applicable for taxi and electric vehicles.
- Currently, there are around 5,500 two-decade old vehicles across the country.