As of now, you must have an idea about a 5G phone. But, there’s something totally new in the block; a Quantum 5G phone. On 14th May, Samsung and South Korean carries SK Telecom announced a new 5G smartphone named Galaxy A Quantum.
The Galaxy A Quantum is not just only a 5G phone but it includes a Quantum Random Number Generator (QRNG) chipset as well. The chip is developed by SK Telecom’s subsidiary ID Quantique, which is based out of Switzerland.
This chipset uses quantum encryption technology which generates unpredictable random numbers and creates unpredictable secure keys. As a result, you get a smartphone with top-notch security.
How Does the QRNG Chipset Work?
This new device from Samsung is just a rebranded Galaxy A71 5G. While it boasts a pretty good spec sheet, the QRNG chipset is the more interesting thing.
So, the random number generators are an essential part of security solutions but most of these solutions do not offer genuine random number generators. Most of them use pseudo-random number generators which are deterministic. Let’s just say, these are a weak spot cryptographically which can be exploited by hackers.
However, the QRNG chipset inside Samsung’s Galaxy A Quantum can generate perfectly unpredictable randomness and a truly random number.
The chipset includes an LED and CMOS image sensor. The image sensor captures the light emitted by the LED, then the QRNG chip analyzes the quantum randomness to come up with a truly random number.
The generated random numbers can be used by services such as mobile payment apps to authenticate users and generate encryption keys.
QRNG chip can be embedded in any smartphone, to ensure trusted authentication and encryption of sensitive information. It will bring a new level of security to the mobile phone industry,” said Grégoire Ribordy, co-founder and CEO of ID Quantique.
Samsung Galaxy A Quantum Specifications
As you can see the Galaxy A Quantum features the exact same specification as the Galaxy A71 5G except for the QRNG chipset. It’s a lite-flagship phone with more robust security.
Here are the specifications of the device:
- Display: 6.7-inch Super AMOLED Infinity-O (1080 x 2400)
- SoC: Exynos 980
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP5
- RAM/Storage: 8GB/128GB + microSD slot
- OS: One UI 2.0 (Android 10)
- Battery: 4500 mAh (25W Fast Charging)
- Biometrics: In-display fingerprint sensor
- Rear Camera: 64MP (Wide, PDAF) + 12MP (Ultra-wide) + 12MP (Macro) + 5MP Depth Sensor
- Front Camera: 32MP
- Connectivity: 5G, WiFI-AC, Bluetooth 5.0, Type-C (USB 2.0), 3.5m jack
The smartphone is available for pre-order in South Korea for KRW 649,000 ($530 approx) as of May 15 and it will go on sale on May 22.
As of now, there is no news of the device launching in other countries but it could make it’s way to the US and Europe in the coming months.
- IME Pay Celebrates 1 Million Downloads on PlayStore with A GiveawayIME Pay, one of the popular digital wallets of Nepal has hit 1 million downloads…
- Yamaha Ray ZR 125 FI Street Rally Launched in Nepal for Rs. 2.54 LakhsAll-new sporty Yamaha Ray ZR 125 Street Rally is now available in Nepal. MAW Enterprises, the…
- Bajaj Avenger 160 ABS Street First Ride: Mixed Experiences!Bajaj Avenger 160 ABS Street is now available in Nepal. HH Bajaj, the authorized distributors…
- Suzuki Gixxer 155 First Ride: Great First Impression!Suzuki Gixxer 250 was a total package! Suzuki’s naked flagship had everything one could ever…
- DJI Osmo Mobile 4 with Magnetic Clamp Design Now Available in NepalDJI announced its latest mobile gimbal, the Osmo Mobile 4 back in August. And, now…