If you got a pair of dumbbells at your home and you’re ready to train, dumbbell workout apps should get you up and running.
Believe me, I’ve been there and in such times I found it easy to rely on workout apps.
Even if you go to the gym, these apps can help you check if you’re doing things right or you can even log your workout for effective training. After all, you need to maintain discipline and be consistent if you want to achieve what you want.
We put together a list of 5 best free dumbbell workout apps on the market, so you can choose what’s best for you. Note that, all of these apps are not dedicated to dumbbell workouts. Some of the apps include other equipment as well, but we had to include them because they were just that good.
Best Dumbbell Workout Apps to Build Muscle
#1. Dumbbells Workout
Price: Free | Rating: 4.4/5 | Reviews: 7,214 | Downloads: 1M+
It’s a bare-bone app that contains basic programs for muscle groups such as chest and triceps, back and biceps, and so on. All of the workouts are dumbbell specific workout and it uses animated graphics as a tutorial.
The app also has a trainer which allows you to customize things such as the number of sets, time allocated, and rest between each round of exercises.
Furthermore, you can also create your custom workout routine if you want to take more control. It prompts you to add available exercises to your custom workout which are categorized according to muscle group.
Other than this, you can enable notification for workout reminders from the settings menu.
Why Use Dumbbells Workout?
- It’s simple and doesn’t bombard you with a lot of information, so it’s good for beginners.
- The workout programs are limited but it’s easy to understand and perform.
- A custom workout routine lets you add variation to your workout regime.
What’s Not Good About It?
- Though the UI is simple, it’s not smooth and fluid.
- Video tutorials of exercises are not available.
- You cannot record the reps and set count of exercises to track your daily progress.
Price: Free/ $3.33 per month | Rating: 4.4/5 | Reviews: 71,318 | Downloads: 5M+
JEFIT is a complete workout app and its best feature is the fact that you can log your exercises and track your progress down to every detail. You can even sync it with Google Fit or Apple Health. Though the app may seem complex for beginners, its UI is very efficient and you can easily filter exercises that use a dumbbell, barbell or any other equipment.
The workout plans are also provided to you according to your experience and your current fitness level. These things are determined when you log in to the app for the first time. Furthermore, you can also edit the workout plan to include the exercises you want to do.
JEFIT is not only one of the best workout planner app but it is one of the best gym apps you can find right now.
You will find a good description and a gif image for each exercise but you will have to get the ELITE version to unlock video tutorials.
Why Use JEFIT?
- You can log each rep and set along with the weights used, it’s easily one of the best apps for tracking your progress.
- Easy instructions for workout
- JEFIT provides plenty of exercises for each muscle group.
- An easy filter of exercises and types of equipment
- Google FIT integration
What’s Not Good About It?
- Though it provides instruction and gif image as a tutorial, you have to get an ELITE version to get video tutorials.
- Beginners will need some time to get used to the app.
Price: Free | Rating: 4.9/5 | Reviews: 434 | Downloads: 10K+
I love this app for its simplicity. It divides workout into 4 categories: Chest & biceps, Abs, Triceps & Shoulders, and Legs & Back. You simply choose any one of the categories and start working out. Most of the workout uses dumbbell but some of the workouts are bodyweight exercises as well.
It provides you with a short video tutorial so it’s really good for beginners. And, it has a good amount of variations as well. You can simply use the shuffle button in each category to get a whole new set of exercises. This way, you can change your workout regime after certain weeks or months.
The next best thing about this app is that you can use it offline. It will download all the videos if you enable this option and you won’t need to be connected to the internet anymore. Other than these, it includes a handy macro calculator to calculate the daily calorie intake to gain muscle or lose weight.
It’s strange that this dumbbell workout app only has 10k+ downloads, but I think it’s one of the best workout apps on Android and iPhone for dumbbell specific exercises.
Why Use LIFEBUDDY?
- Its beginner-friendly, you will find everything you need to know on the main menu.
- Good video tutorials
- Offline Mode
- Workout variations
What’s Not Good About It?
- You cannot create a custom workout
- You cannot track your workout and progress in detail. There is no history for rep counts, set counts, and the weights used.
- It doesn’t specify workout end goals like weight loss or muscle gain.
#4. Dumbbell Training: Exercises and Weight Routines
Price: Free | Rating: 3.8/5 | Reviews: 399 | Downloads: 100K+
If you are a beginner and you are starting out with a clear goal in your head, this app will help you a lot. Though they are not tailored for you, it has quite a selection of workout plans to start with.
All of the workout routines use dumbbell exercises and you can choose to lose weight or gain muscle mass with the included plans. You can also create custom weekly plans by adding the available exercises.
If you’re a newbie, you’ll feel comfortable using this app as it contains embedded YouTube videos to learn the exercises.
Furthermore, it also provides some nutritional plans if you want to follow the diet, but I was not really satisfied with this feature of the app.
Why Use Dumbbell Training: Exercises and Weight Routines?
- Plenty of free workout plans
- Ease of use
- Embedded YouTube videos to learn workouts
What’s Not Good About It?
- It’s easy to use but it’s UI is not as appealing
- You cannot track your workouts and progress
#5. GYM WP
Price: Free/ $1.72 per month | Rating: 4.8/5 | Reviews: 45,075 | Downloads: 1M+
Similar to JEFIT, this is not a dedicated dumbbell workout app, rather it’s a total fitness app. So, there are no dumbbell specific workout plans. But you can view all the exercises that you can do with dumbbells according to muscle group.
You can create a custom workout plan as well and you can track your progress as it provides you with history and report.
The best thing about this app is, it provides you with detailed instructions on how to perform the exercise. It even gives you tips on how to execute the exercise more effectively. But, it uses animation as a form of a video tutorial.
Except for this, it has a BMI calculator, weight, and measurement tracker. Also, you can pay to unlock some workout plans but I advise against it. Even though some contents are paid, I think it is one of the best workout apps on android.
Why Use GYM WP?
- Detailed instruction on how to execute exercises
- Simple and Clean UI
- Workout tracker
- Custom workout plans
- Even though you have to pay to unlock workout plans it is one of the best free workout apps
What’s not good about it?
- No dedicated dumbbell workout plan
- Most workout plans are paid
- No video tutorials
These are some of the best dumbbell workout apps you can find on the Play and App Store right now. It up to you to choose one of these apps to get started.
It also depends on your goal, whether you want to start out with a dedicated plan and track your workout or just learn a few exercises to get the hang of it. Though all of the above apps provide you with enough features, you should keep these things in mind for better results.
Personally, I would go with JEFIT as I have been working out for more than 3 years now. It provides you with a detailed workout tracking feature and Google Fit integration which is more important to me at this stage.
Here is our roundup of the best dumbbell workout apps available in 2020:
- Dumbbell Workout Exercises: Best dumbbells workout at home for beginners
- JEFIT: Best workout app
- LifeBuddy: Best dumbbells workout app with video tutorials
- Dumbbells Workout: Best for people who want to keep it simple
- GYM WP: Best UI
Did we miss any awesome dumbbell workout apps? Which workout apps do you use? Let us know in the comments below!
- How to Easily Send Email to Undisclosed Recipients in GmailWant to send an email to undisclosed recipients in Gmail? We’ll get to that later,…
- 10 Best Apps to Gain Weight for a Healthier LifestyleDo you find it hard to gain weight? You want to build muscle, be healthier,…
- IDP Launches Study Abroad App: Connecting Students and UniversitiesStuck at home, we can’t wait to get out of the house once it’s safe…