The Commission for the Investigation of Abuse of Authority (CIAA) is set to begin a probe on the issuance of 4G (fourth generation) service licenses to different domestic telecom companies by Nepal Telecom Authority (NTA).
The CIAA initiated the probe after receiving a few complaints alleging huge corruption in related government agencies while issuing licenses for 4G telecom service to different telecom companies.
What they are saying:
- According to Padma Prasad Pandey, spokesperson for CIAA, “Complaints have been registered alleging financial irregularities while issuing the 4G license to telecom companies. Similarly, the registered complaints also state that 4G launch in the country was untimely and the government should have directly launched 5G in the backdrop of different countries preparing to introduce the next generation telecom service,”
- He added that the commission will soon start the investigation over the allegations and look into the entire process of 4G launch and 4G license issuance to telecom companies.
- NTA officials opted to remain silent for the first complaint regarding corruption in the process of issuing 4G service license to telecom companies.
- As for the second complaint, NTA Spokesperson Min Prasad Aryal said, “The jump from 3G to 5G in Nepal is not contextual as this telecom service is yet to be launched commercially in the global telecom market.”
- In October 2016, NTA had first issued the 4G service license to state-owned Nepal Telecom (NT).
- Starting from January of 2017, NT had started 4G telecom service.
- Following that, in the first week of May, NTA issued 4G service license to Ncell, and later to Smart Telecom as well.
- In the same month, Ncell started its 4G service.
- Smart Telecom started their 4G service later in October 2017.
- CIAA Starts Probe Into Nepal Telecom’s 4G Irregularity complaint
- Smart Cell Launches Fastest 4G Network in Nepal
- Slow Growth in 4G Service Subscription
Read all the tech news of TechLekh. Stay updated!
- Programiz: An e-Learning Platform from Nepal has now Reached 15 Million pageviews/month in the Global MarketOnly a handful Nepali digital platforms have reached the global audience. One of them is…
- SiTech Dev1 – First SiTech Electric SUV to Arrive in Nepal SoonSiTech Dev1 is coming soon in Nepal. EV Nepal Motors, the authorized distributor of SiTech…
- News Yamaha Fascino 125 Hybrid Launched with More FeaturesYamaha Fascino 125 Hybrid has been launched in India. Yamaha Motors India has revealed the…
- Honda Grazia 125 BS6 Launched in Nepal: New Changes, New Price!Honda Grazia BS6 is now available in Nepal. Syakar Trading Company, the authorized distributor of…