According to the Department of Transport Management, around 20,029 electric rickshaws and tempos were imported to Nepal in the last fiscal year. The number is a 38% increase from the last fiscal year.
Why it matters:
- Electric rickshaws are an environment-friendly alternative to the gasoline-powered vehicles.
- In order to promote their use, the government only charges 10% import duty on e-rickshaws, and no other taxes are added.
- On the other hand, the taxes total to around 127% on import of gasoline-powered three-wheelers.
- The electric rickshaws are one of the most popular transportation options in the Tarai region.
- They can travel up to 100 km when fully charged.
- The electric rickshaws gained rapid popularity after the trade embargo imposed by India in 2015.
- During the period, when there was a shortage of gasoline supplies, electric rickshaws could still operate.
- Surge in Auto-rickshaw Import Contributes 167 Million Worth of Revenue
- Pedicab Project Gives Nepal’s Rickshaws a Modern Update
- Electric Vehicles, The Right Choice for Nepal?
Samsung Galaxy A04 with Unisoc SC9863A to Launch Soon in NepalSamsung unveiled its new budget phone — the Samsung Galaxy A04 on August 24, 2022.…
Purple Launches a Bunch of New Accessories in NepalEarlier this year, a new Nepali accessory brand Purple was launched in Nepal, debuting three…
Honor 70 with 54MP Sensor to Launch Soon in NepalHonor is ready to launch Honor 70 in Nepal. It is Honor’s upper mid-range smartphone…